Thursday, April 28, 2011

On The Exy Johnson

Thanks to Cubby's 'mentoring' help at QuikSCience, we got an opportunity to go sailing on a seriously impressive ship. 



It was sunshine and sea breezes galore! A perfect way to spend the weekend before a week chalk full of nasty exams. 

Cubs ended up getting a bit sea sick so he decided to take a nap sprawled out on the poop deck (is that really it's name?) while David (our friend) and I ran about the boat in the breezy sunshine looking at all the cool things. 




David and a few others climbed this rope latter to the top of the sail! 


The first mate, Tiny, was not only extremely entertaining to stalk, but he also played terrific sea shanties on the ukulele. I didn't get many good photos because I was afraid to carry my camera with me... knowing how good I am at dropping things and bad I am at balance.





 Yes, the top picture was of this sister ship that stalked us out of the harbor. It was very Pirates of the Caribbean.




Though technically it was a "whale watching" trip, we didn't really see any whales. We did see these guys while leaving the harbor though!




The whole day just reminded me of one of my dad's favorite Wind in the Willows quotes: 

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."




No comments:

Post a Comment