Thursday, July 14, 2011

coconut banana bread with lime glaze

Kamehameha gradually emptied out: first Lauren, then the boys... then the my adorable british family...  my dad, then my brother, and soon it was just the women of our family...

Breakfast changed from big scrambles of eggs and veggies on bagels to greek yogurt and blueberries. Clean bathroom towels lasted much longer on their shelves and our many beach towels became easier to come by. Dinner reverted back to mellow simple meals like nori wraps and salads. The evening news was turned on with after dinner tea for the first time in weeks. I even got to know our local bird friends, the admirals, a bit better and played a key role in feeding their adorable fluffy babies every morning. In general, things just quieted down.

A few days after everyone left, we noticed that our bananas had been overlooked and were sitting rather lonely in our fruit bowl, looking pretty unappetizing.  Which of course made us really excited, because we all know when life gives you rotten bananas, you make banana bread.



One of my favorite ways to spend free time is to bake, but my current living situation doesn't have a very friendly kitchen so recently I've had some hilariously bad baking experiences. Lets just say I really was afraid to embark on another baking mission. But I adore my mom's kitchen and how she organizes it and the counter space it has, so while my little sister was asleep and my mom was busy doing mom things, I cracked open our cupboards and began.


My mom found this recipe through a blog! I'm so proud. It can be found here.



It asks for yogurt, which always is good sign for a baking recipes in my opinion. But we're greek yogurt people and didn't have any regular on hand, so I went with it. 


I also used shredded coconut because I overlooked our supply of flaked coconut until the bread came out of the oven... which turned out okay because I just piled more of it on top. Neither type was sweetened like the recipe calls for, but I don't like really sweet bread anyways. (Yes, my mom has a supply of coconut... it's Hawaii.)


The recipe was pretty basic. You know if I don't mess it up, it's pretty full proof.



I love mushing the bananas then swirling them into the mix, it's kind of gross but you know it's going to taste good. 

Before I found the flaked coconut I just put a handful of shredded coconut on the mix. When the bread was almost ready to take out of the oven I added shredded coconut to the top and left in for a few minutes to toast. Then I added a bit of shredded coconut in the glaze then I poored it in clumps on the top. (No such thing as coconut coconut!)


 The lime was so good with the coconut and banana that next time I'm going to double the glaze.

 

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, it was moist and sweet but not too sweet. The lime and coconut were such a great addition, I don't think I'll make banana bread any other way!



3 comments:

  1. Dude, epic! ...and, I love the way you write about it! You best be whippin' one of these up for me when I return next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, so, yeah...I don't recall any "whipping up" of these...as I clearly demanded

    *taps foot repeatedly, in time with his own frustration*

    ReplyDelete