Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hawaiian Summer Chronicles Part Three: Eating, Drinking, and just being Merry


With this many people in a house at once... meal time is bound to be an adventure. 

Fish, pepper, and greens for wrap stuffing, a musical dance party in the living room, the boys on the Lanai and a happily filled cooler for a good bonfire sesh at the beach.


I can't help but believe my family eats better than 99% of the world and I know we have just about the best time doing it.


Mom's secretly vegan chocolate cake (no one can tell it's vegan)  (HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISSY BIRD!), momma choppin' up some stuff,  pre-roasted veggie kabobs, some bug yummy salad, sissy bird flipping homecooked tortillas, and a family reunion classic: Longboarder Lager.

I've often been asked why I choose to restrict my diet of something as tasty and amazing as meat supposedly is, but growing up vegetarian never left me feeling restricted. Actually, I find my family's vegetarian diet is way more liberated and creative than most of my carnivorous friends!

Tofu spinach cheese quiche, chow mein and cabbage salad, laughing on the lanai, concocting another batch of margaritas, and my brother's fresh ceviche (the best on earth)! 

Every night a pair or people were assigned dinner duty, which at first was supposed to just be simple curries and pastas, but it turned into a serious gourmet showdown. The meals seemed to just get better and better!

Some non-photographed favorites included Pupusas and homemade Curtido, Thai Curry, Kale Salad, Quinoa Salad, Vegetarian Pot Pie, and Blackbean burgers with roasted rosemary olive oil spuds.



I almost regret taking pictures of all the meals but you know, you just have to put the camera down and enjoy the moment sometimes... 


No comments:

Post a Comment